Monday, May 3, 2010

Happy Birthday Jeremy!

Last Friday was Jeremy's 35th Birthday, and since it's now over, that means that I can talk about it.

Of course there was cake. I made a chocolate cake with fresh raspberries and raspberry filling coated with a homemade butter-cream frosting. Since I was running short of time, I decided to go with a simple 8 1/2 x 11 cake with a few decorations. I did pull out my airbrush to tint the frosting blue along the sides and onto the top and wrapped a quick rope boarder around the bottom. It was decorated with marzipan figures: frosty beer mugs, Saint Arnold's DR9, and a taco. I find that marzipan figures are much more tasty than gum paste or fondant. Also you must forgive my sculpting on the beer bottle, as this tends to be the point where my skills as a cake decorator break down. The picture above is from my phone camera, but I'll post some more soon on flickr that you can see better.

For Jeremy's birthday I got him a registration to this awesome "obstacle" course coming to Austin in February, 2011. This one is called the Tough Mudder and is one of the more difficult courses around right now. Check out the website and you'll see what I mean. I'm so excited to be doing this with him next year!

Most of the rest of the weekend was spent relaxing. We did check out the JSC Chili Cookoff on Saturday (which was awesome) and Hubble 3D IMAX on Sunday (also awesome). I would highly recommend both, though you'll have to wait until next year for the chili cookoff to come around again.

No comments: