Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A New Addition...

Seriously, how good does that look. Mmmmmmm.

Last week I spent the rest of my birthday money and bought myself a new All Clad d5 stainless steel 12" fry pan. Everybody say 'ooooh'

Yes, it's very shinny and very nice. Actually, I'm almost afraid to even use it because it's so nice. But I did. Use it that is.

Last weekend I picked up some organic grass fed ribeye steaks (see picture above) and cooked them using my new frypan. I had heard that you don't need to put the All Clad onto a high heat, so I used about a 6/7 on a 1-10 scale of heat and seared them first, followed by a few minutes in a 350 deg oven. It's nice to be able to put the fry pan directly into the oven. But you must remember that when they come out of the oven, the handle will be HOT! So even after moving them to the stove, avoid your natural instinct to grab that handle. I learned this about two months ago and my hand hasn't forgiven me since.

Well the steaks turned out great and I really loved cooking with the new pan. However, there was one little problem. The steaks left a lot of stuff stuck to the bottom of the pan. So what do you do?

Well, first you fill the pan with some liquid, water in this case cause you're just gonna dump it out. Then you deglaze it, using medium/high heat (in this case) and a little gentle rubbing with a wooden spoon. That stuff will come right up.

Well, most of it

I was still very disappointed that there was a brown ring and brown spots still around the sides of my fry pan. After all, the dam thing is expensive! After whining about it to a co-worker, he suggested that I go get some 'Bar Keepers Friend.' Well let me tell you, this stuff is awesome. I have the powder form, but it comes as a liquid as well. It works great on the All Clad, and I'm betting it will work great on my other pots and pans as well. I highly recommend you get some of this stuff, if you don't already have it.

No comments: