Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Recipe and a Ring

I've been feeling bad lately about not posting more recipes and food related stuff. Although, in my defense, I still don't have a kitchen or a house, so, you know, that's kinda been slowing me down. Because I don't have any new food items to blog about, I thought I'd pull out an old recipe for you. I can't recall if I've blogged about this before, but if I did it was so long ago that most of you probably forgot. This is one of my all time favorites and people go crazy for them: Butterscotch Bars.

Ingredients
12 oz butterscotch morsels
2 cups gram cracker crumbs
1/3 cup of butter (look for the 1/3 measurement on the stick)
1/2 (ish) cup of ground/chopped walnuts (if you like nuts, use more, if not, use less)
1 egg
1 tsp (ish) vanilla
8 oz cream cheese (1 pack)
1 can (14oz) sweet and condensed milk

Directions

melt butter and butterscotch morsels together in a bowl. If using the microwave make sure you do this slowly so as to not burn the butterscotch. once melted, mix in the gram cracker crumbs and the nuts. This will make the bottom and top of the bars. Press 1/2 the mixture into a 13x9 pan.

filling: cream together the cream cheese, egg, vanilla, and sweet and condensed milk

pour the filling on top of the base layer of butterscotch crumb

sprinkle the remaining butterscotch crumb mixture on top of the filling, to form the top of the bars.

bake 25-30 min at 350 deg. (i usually do 25 min)

let cool to the touch. I'd recommend cutting them at this point. They are difficult to cut when they are very cold. Once cut, place in fridge to cool. It's a cream cheese mix, so you don't wanna have this out for super long (ie - 5 hours). But you can take them out 30-60 min a head of serving to warm up a bit. Though I prefer to eat them cold.

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do!

The Ring

Now onto something super exciting. When Jeremy and I got engaged last July he gave me a beautiful diamond set in a placeholder band and allowed me to take the time to design my own engagement and wedding bands. This way he could surprise me with the proposal yet still give me the ability to personalize my ring. For the last few months we were looking at tons of different rings and coming up with a design that was a combination of the things that we both liked.

We had the ring done at C. Kirk Root Design here in Austin, and last weekend after the Tough Mudder, we were finally able to go pick up the ring. It is GORGEOUS! I've posted a few pictures below. Obviously I'm not allowed to wear the wedding band yet, but I included it in the pics so you could see them together.







No comments: