Sunday, September 23, 2012

Go Pro Hero2

Last week my new Go Pro arrived in the mail. With Jeremy away for a few days, I decided to take advantage of my weekend off and checkout the trails up at Memorial Park in Houston. I've never been mountain biking up that way, but as far as Houston goes, its about as good as you're gonna get.

I hooked up my helmet mount, clicked in the camera, and I was off. Since I hadn't been on the trails before I wasn't sure how their rating system would match what I had ridden in Austin, so I started easy.

Purple and Red are the easy trails, with Yellow at medium and Blue, Green and Orange at difficult. Purple is pretty much a carriage road, Red is an easy, flat single track. Yellow was riding very nicely with blue and green offering more roots and narrower trails but nothing much more in the way of difficulty. Orange was the only trail that I didn't try out, maybe next time.

After compiling all the video, here's a short movie that I made of the ride. I used the default settings on the Go Pro and used slightly less than high quality when exporting from iMovie to quicktime format. This allowed it to squeak by under the 500MB limit on free Vimeo. Not too bad, but some of it looks a bit blurry to me. Exporting at best quality looked great but produced a 900MB file. I'll have to switch to HD video on the Go Pro settings and perhaps upgrade my Vimeo account if I continue to use it a lot.

Here's an embedded version.

Mt Biking Memorial Park 9 12 from Shelley Rea on Vimeo.

No comments: