Friday, February 12, 2010

Potato and Leek Soup - EPCOT

I'm taking a short break from posting about the trip to tell you about this awesome Potato and Leek Soup that we had while we were dining in England... in EPCOT, Disney. It's actually by chance that we even wound up eating in England.

Originally we had reservations to eat in France, but once we got there, neither one of us were really into the menu options. It's actually the first time that I've ever gotten up and walked away from a table, but I just couldn't see dropping $100 for something that neither one of us were that interested in eating. So we headed down the path to some of the other countries. We checked out the menu in Italy, which looked AWESOME, but unfortunately found out that they had no more spaces available for the evening. We also learned this about Mexico. So as we were quickly narrowing down the choices between what was available and what we wanted, we found ourselves at the last country, England. At this point we were getting pretty hungry, and fortunately they only had a 20 minute wait.

Well, I think this was just one of those things that works out for the best in the end. I don't think that I would have ever chosen to eat at England, given the other choices between Italy, Mexico, and Canada, but I'm sure glad we ate there. It was setup just like an English pub, but it was a very nice warming atmosphere and very relaxed. The food was also very good. But the thing I thought was truly note worthy was the Potato and Leek Soup. So much so, that I asked the waiter if I could get the recipe from the Chef. It turned out that not only could I get the recipe, but they would email it to me. I was a little skeptical, but low and behold, the next morning I awoke to find a recipe from the Rose and Crown Pub waiting in my inbox. Since I found this soup so delicious I would like to share it with you here. Enjoy.

Potato and Leek Soup
From: Rose and Crown Pub - England - EPCOT - Disney
(makes 1 gallon)

6 large Russet Potatoes (peeled)
2 quarts Heavy Cream
2 quarts Whole Milk
1 large Onion (diced)
6 medium Leeks
1/4 cup Butter
2 tablespoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper

Preparation method:
1. Cut potatoes and place in a container covered with water so they wont turn brown, set aside
2. Remove green tops of the leeks, you just want to use the whites. Chop leeks and then soak in water to remove dirt. Drain water and soak again. Repeat process until leeks are cleaned.
3. In a heavy pot with heat on medium-high, melt butter, then add the onions and leeks. Cook them for 5-10 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Do not brown onions.
4. Add potatoes to the pot, then add milk and cream. Let soup simmer on medium heat until the potato is cooked through. This will vary due to the size of the potatoes, usually about 90 minutes
5. When the potatoes are cooked, puree soup with a hand blender until smooth. Then season with salt and pepper to taste.
(You may also use a stand up blender, pureeing the soup in batches)

No comments: