Monday, October 4, 2010

Crazy Crazy Weekend

Jeremy's brother, Matt, and his cousin, Jake, came down from Ohio this weekend. Wow, I don't think I've had such a go-go weekend in a long time.

Of course we hit up all the best eateries: Hula Hut, Daily Juice, Fliphappy Crepes, Saltlick, and one still TBD (but most likely Guero's or Maria's). After the Saltlick binge last night, I don't think I'll be eating meat for a while. We went through 4 plates of all-you-can-eat family style. I can't believe we ate all that meat.

Saturday morning we took Jake trapezing at Trapeze Experience. He loved it. Jeremy and I also went again. Check out some of the video's below and the rest of the pictures HERE.

Jake on the Trapeze

Jeremy on the Trapeze

Shelley on the Trapeze

After the trapeze I took them all down to Seismic to go climbing. It was at this moment in my life that I finally discovered that I officially am no longer a climber. Okay, I may climb, but I can't consider myself a climber any longer. Why, you ask?

Well, up until this point I may have lost my endurance, but I did not loose my technique or a degree of strength. Sure, I couldn't do 10 climbs in a day anymore, but I could still manage my way up climbs like Prototype, Bolt Talk and Unnatural fairly well. However, yesterday was my first day back to Seismic in about 2 years. My favorite climb at Seismic has always been Diving for Rocks. It took me a while to master the dynamic move in the middle, but since then I've always hit it, and the stick has always been solid. Yesterday, while we were waiting for some of the 7's to open up, I decided to give Diving a go. There was not a doubt in my mind that i couldn't do this climb. After all, I'd done it like 1000 times in the past.

Lucky for me, I had Jini there to belay me. First time up, I set myself up for the jump. Left hand in the bowling ball hold, right hand in the pocket. Left foot up, right foot up, butt down, prep and jump... and... fall. Fall?!?! WTF? I couldn't believe what just happened. In fact I was in a state of confusion. It was almost a little surreal. Okay, I thought, that was weird.

So I setup again and went for it. A little more "umf" this time. Bam. Stuck. Excellent. Then... fall. Fall? Again WTF? The contact point was not as solid as I once remembered and I could tell it was very polished and my hands were very slimy.

I went up for the third time, again sticking the move, but this time just not having the strength to hold on to make the clip. I couldn't figure out where to place my feet and my arms were hurting so much that I knew I couldn't hang on with one hand to make the clip. I also knew I didn't want to throw a heal up there, as my chance of successfully clipping was about 10% and I didn't want to land on my head.

At this point my arm strength was shot (which I'm sure the trapeze didn't help with), so I accepted my failure and decided to go put up some climbs for Jeremy and Jake. I need to get back out to seismic sometime soon to regain my strength and to work on that climb again. I will not accept defeat :)

Jeremy and Jake did great climbing and they both had a lot of fun. Check out the pictures in the set above.

Before my little climbing tirade, I was talking about this awesome weekend that we had. After running around trapezing and climbing, we took a little break had some dinner and headed downtown for the night. It's been a while since I've been out downtown and around midnight I had my second epiphany of the day: I am not the same person I was in college.

I know, shocking.

Around midnight I realized that I would be much happier at home, sleeping in bed, then staying up drinking for the rest of the night. And it's not that I don't enjoy being out with friends and listening to music. It's that I didn't want to stay up drinking until 2am, cause I knew the next day it would hurt... bad.

At what point in life do we start thinking of the consequences of our actions and letting those dictate our current decisions?

I must admit, I felt a bit lame. But I was happy to leave the boys to have their boys night out and to come home and relax a little. I think they had a great time, because they came home at 3:30am laughing hysterically.

Sunday we chilled out, walked around south congress, gorged on meat at Saltlick, and took a run around town lake. I did my best time ever at 29:14 for 3.1 miles, which was quite surprising considering my abs were killing me from trapeze.

It was a great weekend, and I think I'm going to need to spend Monday night recovering. Oh, and in addition to all this, I made a Mickey cake this weekend :) I think it turned out quite well.

No comments: