Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Slow cooked lamb and gourdough's donuts

A few nights ago Jeremy and I decided to make a lamb shoulder with a recipe that we found in my Mario Batali cookbook. This book has yet to disappoint, and last week was no exception. The result was this amazing, succulent lamb, so delicious that even after the meat was gone, we found ourselves sucking on the bones. The key to this lamb, besides the ingredients of course, was to slow cook it. On the skillet, medium heat, 1 hour.

(You'll have to excuse the fact that all these photos were taken with my iPhone, and so not the greatest quality. But you get the idea). Mmmm looks so good, I can taste it from here!

We also paired this with a side salad and some carrots... oh, and wine of course.



And for dessert, I made pot-au-creme. Besides this being my first attempt at this recipe, I was also trying to cut it in a 1/3, so I didn't wind up making a 6 serving for only 2 people. While that wasn't too difficult, it is a bit hard to cut 2 eggs into 1/3. Either way the result was very tasty, and I'm very happy that I didn't make the full batch for the two of us.




On a different note, the next night we had some friends over, so I decided it would be a good opportunity to check out gourdough's donuts. I stress the word 'I' here, because Jeremy never seems to think that it's a good idea to check out a donut place, especially one called gourdoughs. If you go to their website and check out the menu, you can instantly tell that this is no ordinary donut place. I decided that 4 of us would split the strawberry shortcake (doughnut, strawberries, cream cheese icing) and the funky monkey (grilled bananas, brown sugar baste, cream cheese icing). Below is the iPhone picture I took of the funky monkey. It was really thick, and delicious.

(I'm really sorry about this one, but I'm at a place where I can't turn it right now and the phone was being funny)

The best part about this place, besides the awesome donuts, is that they are part of a trailer park area that is just down the street from my house. (Across from Maudies on S. Lamar) If it's a nice night out, it's a cool place to hang out and relax. Besides the doughnut trailer, there's a 'farm to trailer' stand and a coffee stand. Oh, and if you're thinking of going there, gourdough's is only open from noon - 2am, and 'farm to market' is only open from 5pm - ??.



No comments: