Friday, March 19, 2010

Stupidest Kitchen Gadget Ever

Okay, so I usually blog about travel or food, but for just a minute I'd like to change topics. If you read my post a few weeks ago, you know that I've started reading this other blogging site, toxel.com. Their most recent post was "15 Cool Inventions for your Kitchen." Obviously I was very intrigued, so I started perusing the list. First of all, nothing on this list I would really classify into the "cool" category, with the possible exception of the spaghetti measuring device, and that's only cause I always make WAY too much pasta. But really, who doesn't love left over spaghetti? Anyway, I digress. Near the end of the list, I came across what I have to consider the stupidest kitchen gadget ever. Now these are some strong words, but after I show this to you, I'm sure you will agree with me. Ready for it? Here you go... the EZ Cracker.


At this point I'm sure you are thinking the same thing that I am, WTF?!? Thousands of years of cracking eggs with our hands, and yet at some point it was decided that humans can no longer handle this task. But it gets even better, there's a video!


I'm sure at this point you are speechless, much like I was after I watched this video. I've been cooking since I was little, and I can tell you that I've never had as many problems with eggs as these people seem to have. First of all, who the hell cracks an egg with a fork? And secondly, how many times have you missed the bowl while cracking the egg? And unless you crack the egg, then turn wildly to the side because some zombie is about to attack you, how can you possibly miss the frying pan by that much? Sure, sometimes you get some goop down the side of the bowl, but with a little... what's that word?... oh yea, practice... you won't have that problem. I am truly baffled at how lazy people have become. However, if you are one of these people who are new to the world of eggs, let me give you a few helpful tips.

1. If you are making a cake, and you think you may have gotten egg shell in with the batter, here's what you do. Once you are done baking the cake, flip it out of the pan, so the bottom is now facing up. Any egg shell pieces that may have fall into the batter will have sunk to the bottom of the cake and can be easily picked off.

2. If you're really concerned about this, use another bowl to first crack the eggs into, then transfer them to your batter.

3. Separating yolk from egg. Now this can be a little tricky, but the easiest way to do it is with your hands. I saw this little trick on the food network, and it's a great way to separate a lot of eggs in a short amount of time. First wash your hands. Then use your fingers as a strainer, by cracking the eggs into your hand, allowing the white to fall through your fingers, and the yolk to remain in your palm. Now, if your eggs just came out of the fridge, this can be a little chilling on your hand, but believe me, if you're making a meringue or something where you need many separated eggs, it's quite efficient. Of course, wash your hands when you're finished.

I hope this clears some stuff up, and if you're still debating on buying this ridiculous product, save your money, go to the store, buy a dozen eggs, and just practice. After cracking 12 eggs you'll be a master and it will have only cost you $2.

No comments: